Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Exploration: Wildlife Photography

Since my trip is coming to an end, I've amassed quite the collection of animal photos. These are a few of my favorites:


This first photo is of a Tui. It was taken at Zealandia, one of the first places that I really felt immersed in New Zealand wildlife. The bird just hopped on a branch right next to the path, providing this excellent photo opportunity!



This bird is a Kakapo. It is similar to a parrot, and it also resides in Zealandia. This bird is so intelligent, it understands how to operated a weighted feeder system to get the food out. I included this bird in my highlights because it popped up in multiple ecosanctuaries, making it seem like a very central bird to New Zealand.



This animal is the only non-bird on the list, and I feel that the tuatara definitely deserves its share of the spotlight. It seems to sit in one spot all day long and never move. Tuataras have existed since the time of the dinosaurs, but little is still known about them. They exist on both the North and the South Islands, but they act differently because they have adjusted to different climates. To me, tuataras are a symbol of successful preservation. They were thought to be extinct, but after extensive human efforts, there are multiple populations thriving in protected sanctuaries. This one was photographed in Zealandia.



This bird species is known as the Takahe. It is chicken-sized, flightless, and exists in the protected area of Orokonui. I think the biggest meaning of this bird is its many connections to Maori culture. I remember the overlook of Christchurch being named after this bird, the Sign of the Takahe. I encountered this bird after visiting Christchurch, but seeing one in person seemed to set off a lightbulb of recognition.





Of course, this list would not be complete without penguins! I have the best photographs of yellow-eyed penguins, so I included them here. Visiting the Penguins on the Otago Peninsula was my favorite day of the entire trip. I have always seen penguins as arctic, exotic creatures. Seeing ones in their natural habitat, and on a beach, was something I will never forget. They are adorable, endangered, and worth every effort to save these little guys. I also noticed the greatest improvement in my photography skills when I was trying to get shots of the penguins; the nighttime shoot was a challenge, but the camera settings made so much more sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment